now browsing by tag
Timetables and Map for Fun Day – 19th June 2015
Click on the link to open the timetable for your child’s class.
Junior and Senior Infants: Fun Day 2015 Timetable for Junior and Senior Infants
1st and Second Class: Fun Day 2015 Timetable for 1st and 2nd Classes
On Wednesday 10th December Scoil Mhuire Sóisearach in Newbridge will be hosting a ‘coding event’. This is as part of the international ‘Hour of Code’ week taking place from 8th – 12th December in schools around the globe. It is the largest learning campaign in history. The organisers of the week are aiming for 100 million people to do an hour of code by the end of 2014. More information can be found at code.org
Coding is what makes it possible for us to create computer software, apps and websites. Writing code helps children’s learning because it helps to nurture creativity and problem solving skills as well as prepare children for future jobs (some of which might not even exist yet!).
During the day, children from the various classes will come to the hall to try out different activities to help build the skills required for writing code. Even our youngest children can begin to learn to code with simple activities such as programming floor robots and simple online activities. The school’s principal Bryan O’Reilly is also going to give it a go and will try his first hour of code!
Parents can help in the following ways:
- Are you available to help on the day? We need parents to assist the children with the simple online activities. No expertise required!
- Have you a laptop that you could lend us for the day? We need as many laptops as possible in order to give as many children as possible a go!
- You can also have a look at some of the activities and videos on code.org with your child at home.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help in any way.
Newbridge: Please help us gather photographs!
For the next 2 weeks the children who come to me will be talking about Newbridge and the area in which the children live. We have been looking at photographs of buildings, shops and places in Newbridge: Whitewater, the playground, the cinema, Tesco, the pharmacy, the petrol station, the hairdressers and so on…. Please talk to your child about the places and buildings you see when on the way to school or at the weekend. We would love some more photos of Newbridge so please take photographs with your child and email to me at email@example.com. Photographs from all children and parents are welcome! We will post our photos of Newbridge on the website soon!
This week’s theme: Time and Sequencing
We have been learning about time, sequencing and seasons. Here are some tips to help your child with this theme at home:
- practise saying ‘Good morning’ and ‘Good Night’ each morning and night.
- talk about the differences between day and night.
- discuss the time of day – morning, afternoon, evening, night.
- use the words ‘first, then, next, after that, finally’ in conversation and when talking about past events – eg. when talking about your child’s day at school, birthday party etc.
- Practise the phrases ‘What time is is?’ and ‘It is … o’clock’
Parents Council Healthy Eating Survey
We would be grateful if as many parents as possible could complete this survey. Please click here to go to the survey. It should take less than a minute to complete.
Thank you from The Parents Council