Resources for Home During School ClosurePosted by: Ms. Elwood | Posted on: March 22, 2020
Parents should view the link from their child’s individual teacher for advice, tips and learning activities. This will be the most helpful resource to you in knowing how to support your child’s learning at home but there are also lots of wonderful free online resources available to parents which may further support you. Many of these resources are used regularly in our school and we have chosen the ones we feel are particularly useful and worth a look. Please also keep an eye on our Twitter feed where we are tweeting daily with ideas, tips and online activities. (Note: you don’t have to sign up to Twitter to view our feed.)
- Here are some useful tips on helping young children to read: Click here to view.
- Here are some great tips for keeping children busy and getting them moving: Click here to view.
- Here are some tips on how to count with young children. Click here to view..
- Paula Conlan, who teaches Wellness Drama in the school, has kindly shared these videos for the children to view.
Free online resources available:
- Twinkl has offered free access to all parents for the upcoming month. This will allow parents unlimited access to every single resource for every subject. Go to www.twinkl.ie/offer and enter the code IRLTWINKLHELPS.
- Starfall: visit the website or download the app. Lots of games and stories to support the learning of phonics and reading. Particularly useful for Junior Infants to 1st Class.
- Teach Your Monster to Read: this is a highly recommended website and app which supports your child in learning to read.
- topmarks.co.uk: this website has lots of games and activities in all subjects and for all levels.
- gonoodle.com: this is a great website full of dances, exercises and physical activities. It is used in school on a daily basis to keep the children active.
- Worldbookonline: All students in the Republic of Ireland have open and free home access to World Book Online. World Book is a trusted encyclopedia containing thousands of informational articles with stunning illustrations, videos, interactive maps, research help, and activities.
- Grow in Love online program: This program is used to teach religion in school. There are stories, songs, videos and activities for each topic. Use these details to sign up: Email: email@example.com, Password: growinlove
- Kildare Library and Arts online services offer a wide range of services including ebooks, eccomics and the Children’s Reading Corner.
- NCSE online resources: resources for children with special educational needs.
- Folens have given free access to all of their ebooks and resources. Go to folensonline.ie and enter Prim20 as the roll number. Planet Maths and Abair Liom are both used to support teaching in the school and this site will give access to all of the games, interactive resources and ebooks.
- CJ Fallon is offering free access to all of its online textbooks. Click on the year and subject to view titles.
- The Educational Company of Ireland are offering free access to all of their ebooks and digital resources. Use the login primaryedcobooks and the password edco2020.
- RNIB Bookshare: free online books and readers.
- Worldebook have made 3,000 ebooks and audiobooks available for children to access at home
- Kandle.ie will be regularly posting resources for key liturgical dates.
- Scoilnet.ie: resources and activities to support students and teachers for every subject.